Saturday, August 28, 2021

A Bit More Like Her

To honor Christina's memory, I am trying to solve problems a bit more like her. Already canceled her mobile number, and taking care of vehicles, went to the bank, legal photocopies of important documents, government applications forms almost ready to be sent. There is so much to do when a tragedy like this one hits a family and the worst is that I had to face all of these things alone.

If I would do things like "me", my way, the wrong way... (the Cuban way?), then I would have said - "I am tired now, and all these will be done, perhaps, later" - I would have started in August!


There we are, December of 1994, and believe me, it was not enough time together. In those days I was living in New York and we got married in Seattle, Washington. We did it that way to allow her family to attend our ceremony. 

I wanted us to get married in New York where my science career was finally taking off. To give you some context; I was working at the City University Of New York (CUNY) and had a job offer from a prestigious USA east coast research center, "the center", from Rockefeller University. I had really good friends there, work connections, met a lot of important people in science and I wanted them to be part of my wedding.  When people get married they invite friends, colleagues, one's boss, even if we do not want to do that! However, when she said, "I want my mother to be there", that was it. Her happiness is what mattered to me: if she was happy, I was happy.

We had a modest ceremony, but we were very happy together and that is what was important.

After our marriage, we settled in British Columbia and those were the happiest days of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a Long Time Since I've Seen Her

To our daughters; I learned so much from your mother!  She was my lover and my bosom friend.    The summer of 1992 was running in earnest an...