Friday, January 21, 2022

Hard to see past the curve

During these past seven months, I had time to think about the years invested in the company of my wife.  We had good and bad days but even in days that seemed dark we had time to embrace, feel the connection; we never lost that.

My wife's condition, Glioblastoma, caused her mood and personality changes that I was not able to recognize as something very serious and instead attributed them to work stress, our finances, the environment of the  XXI century, politics, etc.  I regret that I did not pay attention to those changes and was not capable to see beyond the "curve".  If I had, perhaps that would have given her a few more months, or years, with us, better quality of life, so much more!




Christina always wanted to visit France.  I used to tease her and tell her "Christina, I do not know where that fascination that you have with Frenchmen comes from!  It must be that they elongate their lips to talk as if wanting to kiss you.  I believe you wanted to marry a Frenchman but instead, you settled for a Cuban!" She would smile at me and tell me "No, no, no; I love you!".  That I knew it was true.

We never had enough funds to visit France together but we could squeeze for one and although I always insisted to her to buy the plane ticket and go, she would not do it.  I regret I did not buy the plane ticket myself and send her on her way to see the world.  Same for Egypt, but terrorist attacks on tourists made me abandon the idea of insisting on her visit to the African country.

My biggest regret of all is that in 1993 when she asked me to marry her I said "no".  I should have married her ignoring the circumstances we were in and join her to be happy and spend more time together.

Life throws these curves at us and it is hard to see beyond.  We can only do our best.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a Long Time Since I've Seen Her

To our daughters; I learned so much from your mother!  She was my lover and my bosom friend.    The summer of 1992 was running in earnest an...