Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The Story Behind The Photograph

There is a story behind every photograph taken.  Pictures are testimonies, they have their own soul and objectives.  One can look at the picture and wonder "why was this picture taken?  What is it trying to tell me?"  It could be a happy moment, something beautiful, endless possibilities.  Pictures even take new dimensions under the fantasy and creativity of the curious onlooker.

In the summer of 2014, my family and I were walking on Main Street Barkerville Historic Park & Town; browsing and window shopping.  The street was very busy, boiling with actors, and actresses wearing the attire from the old days.  It is difficult not to be enchanted by ancient buildings, the irregular dirt road, the actors, horse riders trotting slowly, accompanied by a coach horse-drawn style carriage lifting a slight cloud of dust, like a portrait from years long gone.  The only pieces out of place were the tourists trying to blend in.

An actor playing Billy Barker could be seen talking to people, telling them stories about how he left his native England in rags, to come to Canada to try his fortune, how he made it to the richest, only to lose it all later in life.

On Main Street, past The Saint George Hotel, to the left of the dentist's office was the "Leblanc Photographic Gallery".  Not everyone found fame and fortune in Barkerville, hence sending a picture of oneself home wearing an elegant suit, dress, or holding a sack of "gold" was a form of deception to reassure loved ones that things were not so bad after all and that all these sacrifices will mean something one day.


"Ah, Jose; let us have our picture taken!" - exclaimed Christina with enthusiasm - "It would be our family souvenir!"

As we walked into the studio we were greeted by two young lady employees in costumes of the era.  Following the customary welcome, they explained what the studio was about in the days of Billy Barker.  After the brief history lesson, we went straight into the business of the day: our picture.  Like in the old times, the studio would rent to their customers the clothing for the pose.

"Sir; who would you like to be, a businessman, a miner, the law perhaps?"

"I want to be a prospector..."

"And I would like to be a madam"

"Perfect!  And the young ladies?"  -  said the employee turning to our daughters - "You don't know?  Ok, we'll make you look, tough cowgirls, no one will mess around with you!  Is that ok? Great! This way please."  - showing us the path to the dressing room with a polite hand curtsy.

The dressing room of the Leblanc Photographic Gallery is like a fantasy factory with all sorts of artifacts and costumes.   One could be anything but with so many choices it is hard to select who one wants to be.

"Oh, I need help!" - our girls exclaimed from their dressing compartment.

"Me too!" - Christina also stated.

Once ready, we walked into the stage where the picture was going to be taken.  There were additional artifacts and props to further enrich the story within the picture.

"Take these guns girls" - the studio employee said to the girls - "Yes, you look as tough as nails!  Do you like it?"

"Yes!"

"For you madam, here is a parasol"

"No, no parasol!  Give me a gun!  But I want something for a lady, something that I can conceal in my little purse"

Christina was not a typical madam, and I was not surprised that she wanted something matching her personality.  She was a fighter, and I loved that.

"Everyone ready?  Don't move!...  Let me take another one just in case...  still... perfect!"




What a great idea the picture was!  I enjoy looking at it every day in the morning, and before going to bed.  The picture is prophetic, it tells the story of uncertainty, dangers, but we are ready to face them armed to the teeth.  Later in our lives, that resolve was tested beyond the breaking limit and my wife fought gallantry.  You might think that I am making a connection that does not exist, that the significance of this photograph is a figment of my imagination.  But, what I see in this theatrical play is her character and getting to know her as I did, the picture reveals who she really was.  

You live in our stories my love.


Colophon

I would have never imagined that more than a century later, Billy Barker and I would share a similar loss; we both lost our wives to cancer to find ourselves stripped of one of our greatest treasures.  Now it is clear to me why Billy looks so sad in one of the most famous pictures ever taken of him.  I look straight into his eyes and cannot avoid thinking, "BillyI understand, I am sorry too".


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a Long Time Since I've Seen Her

To our daughters; I learned so much from your mother!  She was my lover and my bosom friend.    The summer of 1992 was running in earnest an...